Four months later . . .

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious when I fall off the wagon, isn’t it?

If you look at the widget to the right –> you’ll see that, over the past four months, I’ve actually re-gained 12 of the almost 50 pounds I’d lost. While I’m not proud of this fact, admitting it and putting it out there for everyone to see is a huge step for me in getting back on track to losing.

Do you ever get to a point in your life—in any area of your life—in which you know you’re sabotaging yourself, but you just can’t help it? That’s where I’ve been since November. I fell back into all of my old eating patterns . . . except for the ten days I was in Baton Rouge over Christmas. I think the only reason I’m not up 15 or 20 lbs is because I actually lost 3 or 4 lbs over Christmas because I was so careful about what I ate. For some reason, it’s a lot easier for me to do that when I’m around other people than when I’m alone.

Of course, since returning home from BR, I’ve been indulging in stress eating because of the deadline for my next book (which I missed and am now late on) and the tons of freelance work I’ve had come in (and dreading the knowledge that I’m going to owe a few thousand dollars in taxes this spring). I’ve subconsciously used that as an excuse to indulge in high-sugar, high-fat foods which have, obviously, taken their toll on the progress I’d managed to make over the past two years.

Well, no more sabotage—at least I’m going to try not to.

I’ve rejoined Weight Watchers. (Gained three pounds the first week I was back on it. Hello!!!) And this week, I determined I was going to start exercising again. Pulled out the DVD I made of the exercise program Shimmy from Fitness TV (edited out the commercials so I don’t have to stop and ffwd through them) a couple of days. But then yesterday, I found myself online looking at treadmills and thinking how nice it would be to have one at home so that I could walk while the weather’s cold. And then started thinking about how nice it would be to start swimming again. And maybe start taking some actual exercise classes. So I opened up a new page to the YMCA of Middle Tennessee website and discovered I could register/pay online. So at 1 a.m. this morning, I did that. And at 10 a.m. this morning, I walked in the door, got my new ID card, and got up on the treadmill.

I knew I’d have to take it easy this first day, so all I’d planned on was one mile. But once I hit one mile, I figured I could go at least another quarter of a mile. And once I hit 1.25, I realized it was only a few more minutes until I’d been walking for 30 minutes. So I did 1.5 miles in 30 minutes, which gives me a baseline for setting some fitness goals for myself.

I have fifteen and a half months until I turn 40 years old. And my goal (as stated by the title of this blog) is to be at or at least within 10 pounds of my goal weight by the time I turn 40. I have 100 lbs (+/-) to lose to reach that goal, which works out to losing an average of almost 7 pounds per month. And supposedly, the more I lose, the harder it’ll be to get the weight off—so I really need to work hard at it now to get the “easy” pounds off (and to fit back into all of my clothes that I could wear four or five months ago which are fitting a little tightly now) and to start regaining control over my health, well-being, and self-image.

How are you doing? Where are you with your weight and fitness goals?

Advertisements

About Kaye Dacus

Kaye Dacus Academic Editor (at NCU). Published Author (11 novels, dozens of articles, essays, poems). Prolific Procrastinator. www.kayedacus.com
This entry was posted in Activity Report, Weekly Weigh-In, Weight Loss Journal. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Four months later . . .

1. Jason says:

I sabotage myself all the time. I hate that I do it…and then I do it. Good job getting back on the horse and moving forward. You can hit that goal!

2. I hear ya, sister. Hugs! WTG on getting back on track.

I lost a LOT of weight years ago but gained quite a bit when I carried the triplets who are now 18 months old. I just now finally feel back in control. I’ve lost 15 pounds this month from eating low carb. It’s the absolute BEST way for me to diet–for me to live, actually. I gain weight on WW too–Me and carbs just don’t get along. Low fat, low carb makes me crazy hungry and I always wind up cheating at night. When I’m low carbing, I never have that problem because the cravings disappear.

25 more to go for me.

KUTGW!!!

• Kaye Dacus says:

I don’t do the “Points” system on WW—I, too, gain weight using that plan, because of the carbs. I do what used to be called the Core plan—which basically is WW’s version of low-fat Atkins/SoBeach: low-fat proteins, lots of vegetables, some fruit, and some whole grains. It’s the weekly weigh-in and record of my weight that helps me the most with WW.

3. Rebecca says:

Keep it up, Kaye!

I’m currently doing my first round of what Colleen Coble has done to lose 50 pounds, and I’m down 11.5 pounds so far without exercise.

I have found for me that sugars and carbs (mainly from grains) are what make me feel yucky and gain weight. (Why God do they tastes so good?) I know my body needs good protein and natural fats to function well. I lost a lot in 2006 by avoiding the sugars, starches, and empty carbs. I’m using Colleen’s method to get me back into that mindset.

Next thing is to add the regular walking and stretching exercises back in to build up my strength and stamina.

4. PatriciaW says:

OMG….Kaye, you won’t believe this!!! (Yes, I used three exclamation points.) Are you in my head?

Fell completely off wagon around Thanksgiving. Lots of personal stuff going on. Big stress. Gained back 8 of the 22 lbs I lost last year.

Joined WW again. (Won a free 12 weeks from at-work program. No reason to not go.)

Gained 3 lbs in the first week. (Are we twins?)

Decided this morning, following my “foodie” pity party last night as a result of weight gain, that I needed to ask group leader when we were going to talk about self-sabotage.

Desperately trying to regain a handle on the sugar/carb thing. I feel good physically (and better about myself as a whole) when I successfully limit them.

Planning to work out this evening/weekend for sure. In exercise room. On treadmill. Can’t use cold as an excuse. Signed up for a free consultation at Shapes.

Just turned 47 last week. 3 years to 50. Can’t be in this same place, dealing with same weight issues, when that happens. Can’t.

Reading Christa Allan’s Walking on Broken Glass which deals with alcoholism but more broadly, with recovering from addiction. Has me pondering about food addiction.

Kudos to you for getting back on track. For taking action. We can do this!

5. Hope says:

Hi, Kaye!
    Three few years ago, I returned from a 16 month stay in Europe during which I ate whatever I wanted, never thought about losing weight, and lost almost 30 pounds. Over the next two years I gradually gained back all of that weight, allowing it to sneak up on me and refusing to acknowledge the problem. A year ago I went on a ski trip and injured myself due to being in poor shape, which forced me to “faced facts”, as you’ve just done – it takes a lot of courage and chutzpah, doesn’t it? I determined then, absolutely, to lose those 30 pounds, plus 20 more, over the next two years.

Over last summer I lost 18 pounds, and since then I’ve allowed myself to yo-yo. Next week I leave for another ski trip, just 10 pounds lighter than last year…although some panic-stricken working out in the next week might give me 15 pounds! I’m concerned about my health on the slopes, and about how much my weight will allow me to enjoy what ought to be a fun vacation; I’m disgusted with myself for failing to acheive a good, reachable goal through my own lack of discipline.

All of this to say: you’re not alone, and I understand! I want to share with you what I’m doing with my situation. However wavering my commitment has been, I am in fact lighter than last year! The bottom line is that, while I haven’t reached the standard I set for myself, I have moved forward on the pathway to good health and better stewardship. I’m making the decision to view that positively, and build from where I am without looking back on the “what could have been”. I hope you can, too – and I am rooting for you to make your goal!

If your editorial eye identifies too many exclamation points in the previous paragraph, tell it it’s correct, but to wink itself shut…some situations demand exclamation points!!!!! Lol 🙂

6. Karen Eve says:

Good for you Kaye and welcome back. I’ve been steadily progressing and am still losing. I actually lost over the holidaze. Core/Sft is the best as far as I’m concerned. For me, the biggest thing that helps keep me going and on track are the online boards at WW. I now have 282 days CDOP, which is a major miracle in itself. The CDOP thread (50’s board) is big for me. Just having that accountability 24/7 has kept me going many, many days when I would have said, “It’s just one day” or something along those lines.
    Keep up the good work. BTW – I have a treadmill and it’s just as easy to not use it at home as it is to not use one at the Y. LOL.
    Blessings,