Can you believe it? A recipe post from me! It’s been so long. But there’s a reason why the kitchen is the first room I’ve concentrated on during the 31-Day Clean House Challenge. Because for me, a clean, organized kitchen not only makes meal planning and prep easier, it’s an open invitation to cook. And as part of that challenge, I cleaned out the freezer the other day and realized I had several packets of frozen, shredded pork roast that I needed to use soon.
I also had several small fresh tomatoes from the container garden I’m cultivating on my back deck.
And I recently opened a jar of roasted green chile that I need to either use or freeze soon, before it goes bad.
Pork and Green Chile Stew II
Here’s the original recipe for a version of this. I made a lot more of it this time!
- 32 oz (4 cups) beef or pork broth (I used beef, since that’s what I already had) = 0 net carbs
- Approx. 2 cups shredded pork roast–because this was cooked with onion, I counted 2 carbs per cup = 4 net carbs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped roasted Hatch green chile–depends on how spicy you want it (I like it spicy). The 505 brand is 3 carbs per 2 tablespoons, so 1/2 cup = 12 net carbs
- 1 cup skinned, diced tomato = 5 net carbs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano = 1 net carb
16 net carbs total for the above recipe
- Other herbs/spices and/or veggies as desired (don’t forget to calculate for additional carbs)
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add broth and meat and bring to a boil. (My meat was frozen, so I set it on a lower temperature and covered it and let it cook away for a half hour or so until the meat was heated through. If your meat isn’t frozen, this shouldn’t take long, since the meat is already cooked.)
Add chiles, tomatoes, oregano, and other seasonings if desired, return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer at least 30 minutes, up to a few hours, before serving.
This recipe makes four (5.5 carbs) to six (3.6 carbs) dinner-size servings.
Have a pork roast in the freezer for the crockpot. Making your recipe with the leftovers this week..
LikeLiked by 1 person
Let me know how it turns out!